Tuesday, May 16, 2006

What I did this weekend

Not too much, actually. Saturday I slept in a little and discovered that 10:00 a.m. on Saturday is a bad time for the post office, not to mention FNAC (where they sell all kinds of technology and DVDs and tickets for concerts). So instead I took the bus to Carrefour to stock up on dark chocolate (aren't I just like my mother?) and other cheap and handy snacks for those days - like today, what do you know - when we get theoretically 30 minutes break but between one class going late and walking between buildings and chatting, maybe 5 to 10 minutes to pause and munch something, and that's all the lunch break before 5 hours of class (if you're ridiculous like me and choose to follow all the courses).

Saturday afternoon I happily walked to the university for some free time on the Internet. It was still sunny. When I arrived, all the critical buildings (read: all the buildings providing WiFi access) were closed. It started raining. Fortunately I have learned by now to always carry an umbrella. I made up for it later that evening by going to see a Korean film which would have been good except it disappointed me excessively by forcing me to close my eyes during two scenes. I think I just don't trust movies anymore. I'll take a little break till the DaVinci code, which a friend and I are going to see sometime next week. She's read the book and I haven't.

Sunday I went to church as usual, and afterwards out to Flunch with three other friends from church. Then, because I've already been in France three months and haven't been proposed to by any dashing French guys yet, I decided to come along with them to the singles group. (Okay, that isn't all true - you can delete the middle part). It was a little conference on communication aimed at singles at least 30 years old, but there were some couples as well. But I think I was the youngest one there. Mostly it was two-and-a-half hours of discussion, so I'm glad I went because it was good practice for our controle de compréhension orale on Wednesday.

That evening a Swiss student arrived to stay for two weeks, so I had supper with her and we spoke mostly French and some German and English, and she tried to talk to me in Swiss German but I couldn't follow it very well... it really is different.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good news! The kids took a vote--concerning the bird incident--and they decided to let you come home anyway.

(thanks for the interesting updates :-)

Sharon said...

Oh good, I can still come home, since I never shower or do my laundry...