Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The day after (the big project)

I've decided to not organize all my photos till I get back. It's fun to do, especially adding commentary, but not when I have exams in two and a half weeks. That said, most of the semester's work is done, feels good to have a little loose time! Now, if it would just quit raining, I could happily spend hours and hours outside studying. They say we need the rain. I say it has been a very long winter and a very cold and rainy spring and we need some sun.

Today we would normally have three hours of class: two hours of Oral Comprehension and one hour of Stylistics; however, last week these courses were cut short due to our professor's doctor appointment. In fact, we didn't do any O. C., so we should get plenty of that in today's four or so hours. As long as it's not a controle day, the class is fun and interesting, especially since I just realized that I understand a lot more now than at the beginning of February.

Yesterday Sarah also gave her oral presentation - on elderly people in France. She visited a home for retired people where they had an 'American' day, and she discovered that the stereotype for Americans there was cowboys. Only the French say it very differently, in fact, I can't even recall it exactly to try sounding it out for you.

Then Bo (an American student in our class, William) became un Western for the rest of the day because he tried using 'Western' as an adjective to describe Western (versus Eastern/Asian) customs. But of course, a Western is a cowboy film - the adjective he wanted was occidental. Our professor had fun with that one, especially since he had us for the next class as well!

Bonne journée!

No comments: