Friday, February 17, 2006

Part two

There's just a little more travel adventure to relate.

Thanks to Catey and Drew, who noticed some specials on SNCF passenger rates, and thanks to my debit card, I was able to get a first-class train ride from Paris to Dijon. Only whoever set the inclination angle for the seat backs clearly went for looks and not for comfort. Not quite enough to sit up, but not quite enough to really lean back. That said, it was all I could do to keep from dozing off for more than 10 minutes at a time. I wanted to see the countryside and I wanted to be ready to depart, but it was a losing battle.

My host mom was supposed to meet me at the station, but when I got off, I had no idea where to look for her... seemingly miles of endless trains and people getting off and getting on, sometimes an occasional horde of children. I tried asking someone where the station was and didn't quite understand the answer, but it sounded like I was supposed to go down those steps? How ridiculous was that? It seemed like that would be a metro rather than the actual station. But, nope, when I finally heaved up the courage to lug my baggage down the steps (trying not to think about getting back out again), I discovered he was right... however... it only took me another fifteen minutes of hunting around to figure out where I was supposed to wait, and by then maybe I had completely missed Mme. Cescutti... but no, just before I completely believed that, she appeared.

It was a rather pleasant surprise to discover that my bedroom was actually two rooms that had been joined together and included two beds. Didn't take me long to settle into my refuge, and such a relief to fall into bed that night. And I thought it was luxury to have a single-bed room to myself last spring at home!

Well, the hour of Grammar draweth nigh. Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: