Monday, February 13, 2006

Good things

First, sounds like Grandpa's holding his own!

Second, last night I tried the France TeleCom card and what do you know, it worked! (But not on the cellphone) So I enjoyed talking with Daddy and Mommy.

Third, my French Bible finally arrived. Actually, this happened last week, but I wanted to wait till I could explain the Story of La Grande Poste in Dijon. Early one morning I heard the doorbell ring, but I was just finishing in the shower... what could I do? Later Mme. Cescutti (my host mom) brought me a note for me to pick up a package. I didn't read it too carefully, or I would have noticed that the earliest pickup time was 5 p.m. two days from then. Go figure. So I went the next day, before 5 p.m., and the man explained that it wasn't there at the moment but I could try coming back that night after 5 p.m. .... possibly it would be there then. So I tried. And they couldn't find it. So I tried the next day. (The post office is open at least till after 6 p.m., I discovered) A new set of people disappeared in two directions and couldn't find it. I explained that it would be from the United States. Oh, what do you know, there it was, a little package right in my own sight on the end of a rack. Whew. Thanks, Mommy.

Fourth, today was our first day of class and, to celebrate, it snowed! Big heavy wet flakes. No wonder everyone was carrying umbrellas. In class, our professor went over the assignment for a different class tomorrow. Maybe next week we'll get around to Written Comprehension (every class meets just once a week).

Fifth, I discovered to my great delight that although I only have to write exams for 4 hours (4 classes) of Culture and Civilization for Level 5 (as opposed to 2 for Level 4), nevertheless, if I want, I can attend all 8, and not do a lick of homework since they're all lecture! In other words, 20 credit hours' worth, homework for 16 hours' worth, with 4 hours thrown in for free. Who wouldn't pass that up? Here's the list:

Art History - impressionism
Contemporary History - France from 1945 to today
Theatre - a tragedy by Samuel Beckett
Philosophy - grand moral concepts of modern times
Literature - the 20th century
Political Panorama - European institutions and the great world systems
Economy - microeconomics and business economics
French Song - contemporary authors and interpretations

Bye for now. Love from France!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was so nice to IM with you a bit this morning, ma chère :-)

Concerning the courses you get to take, WOW....I could go for everything except the economics....only, in English, of course.

Would it be too much trouble to bring me back a Monet, or something? Then too, I could settle for a Manet. I'm not picky, really....

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon!
Good to hear that you have arrived safely and are settling in. Thank you for keeping up with your blog in english - greatly appreciated! :-D I'm praying for your grandpa and his current health situation...
Things are going well in WVa... this semester's been a lot of fun so far. (In other words, the really tough time hasn't hit yet - that's coming after Spring break - it'll be crazy!) We're headed to Georgia, Tennessee, and South Carolina for chorale tour over Spring break - I'm excited. :-)
Continue to keep us updated on your life's happenings when you have time! :-)

Sharon said...

Hi Bekah, thanks, good to hear from you.

Mommy, I'll see what's lying around when I visit the Louvre.

Anonymous said...

I love European uni's. The lecture system makes my heart glad. *sigh of longing* Maybe in two years I'll be able to make it over there? We'll see.

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. He will be in my thoughts.

~Kendra

Sharon said...

It's not all lecture, but I do enjoy the lecture.