Wednesday, February 08, 2006

More French Life

I don't understand why students major in French, travel to France to study, and walk around speaking their native language (be that English, Korean, or any other except French) with their friends. Glad I didn't come with a group. Now I'm glad I signed a contract to only speak French. Don't tell anyone, but if I visit friends in Germany or Spain I may have to break it. But not here.

No matter which level we test into, we all get to choose 4 hours (2 classes) worth of culture and civilization courses. Mine will probably be Art History, focusing on Impressionism, and Politics, an overview of worldwide political systems.

The cafeteria here is delightfully cheap. Lunch is 2.7 euros, as opposed to $5 at Grace. Now, at the current exchange rate of about 1.17 dollars to the euro, that translates to $3.16; and they give me 5 euros for lunch every day. Not to mention I don't need lunch money every single day. "Let's see how much money Sharon can save" will be a fun little project.

I already discovered the French version of WalMart - Monoprix. But nothing in France is that cheap. It's an odd combination: high prices, high unemployment, and everyone wants to buy good quality and dress a la mode - which gets terribly expensive. Then, there are 11-year-old girls carrying cellphones around with them at school.

Okay, it's time to leave the English world, get caught up on French news online, and go see if they're hiding my package somewhere at La Grande Poste.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sharon! Glad to hear you're doing well in Dijon. What host family are you staying with?

Jon Guiles

Thainamu said...

And I'm glad that your "all French" rule doesn't also apply to your blog.

Anonymous said...

Yes, though with the help of online translators, we could probably figure it out.

Or, it would always be fun for votre chère maman to try and remember (or make up) her own French....

Sharon said...

Hi Jon, thanks for the note. I'm with Mme. Josianne after all, and enjoying my time with the family. Brian Zarro from George Fox is staying with your family and the big dog!

Well, Thainamu and Mommy, we could always have a "French Day" every week. Then anyone could try their hand at translating. In fact, I think that's a great idea. :)

Ardith said...

Uh-oh.

*adds bookmark to online translator*

mechcanoer said...

Google has a nice translator just for that sort of occasion.