Tuesday, December 20, 2005

How far away is that galaxy?

"John McCain said he thinks about being president every day in the shower. I guess I will turn to the words of Star Wars: It's in a galaxy far, far away."

-Mitt Romney, Massachusetts governor, who last week announced he won't seek re-election to a second term, setting up a likely 2008 White House bid against McCain.

--U.S. News & World Report, Dec. 26, 2005 - Jan. 2, 2006.


Someone needs to reword that remark. Call me thickheaded, but I can't tell whether it's saying Mr. Romney will likely or won't likely run for president.

But that's beside the point. Here's my question. Just how many galaxies away equals never? Why can't anyone just say, "Forget it. I'm never running for president. Don't bother asking again."

Maybe telling the truth less often requires inventing more elaborate means of conveying it.

No comments: