Sunday, May 01, 2005

C.S.L.

Heh heh. Guess that quote was confusing - sounded more like a devotional than science fiction.

"All His biddings are joys" is from C. S. Lewis's Perelandra, second book in his space trilogy.

C. S. Lewis keeps making comments that halt my mind. Here are a few.


It was not really like a woman making much of a horse, nor yet a child playing with a puppy. There was in her face an authority, in her caresses a condescension, which by taking seriously the inferiority of her adorers made them somehow less inferior -- raised them from the status of pets to that of slaves. (p. 65)

"I thought," she said, "that I was carried in the will of Him I love, but now I see that I walk with it. I thought that the good things He sent me drew me into them as the waves lift the islands; but now I see that it is I who plunge into them with my own legs and arms, as when we go swimming. I feel as if I were living in that roofless world of yours where men walk undefended beneath naked heaven. It is a delight with terror in it! One's own self to be walking from one good to another, walking beside Him as Himself may walk, not even holding hands. How has He made me so separate from Himself? How did it enter His mind to conceive such a thing? The world is so much larger than I thought. I thought we went along paths -- but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path." (pp. 69-70)

"The world leaps forward through great men and greatness always transcends mere moralism." (p. 95)

. . . and then, sweeter than all, the suggestion that he had been brought there not to do anything but only as a spectator or a witness. (p. 107)


The last one I understand now, not just mentally, but experientially. God's why is usually beyond me. But I wonder less, when I think that perhaps He means for me to sit and watch instead of doing.

No comments: