Sunday, May 29, 2005

Sunday's reading

I was looking through a Vision Forum Family Catalog today. Here's the VisionForum website and its mission statement, if you want some background.

The heading "The Biblical Family Now and Forever!" caught my eye, so I read on...

Praise ye the LORD. Blessed is the man that feareth the LORD, that delighteth greatly in his commandments. His seed shall be mighty upon earth: the generation of the upright shall be blessed. . . . He shall not be afraid of evil tidings: his heart is fixed, trusting in the LORD. His heart is established, he shall not be afraid, until he see his desire upon his enemies. . . . The wicked shall see it, and be grieved; he shall gnash with his teeth, and melt away. (Psalm 112:1-2, 7-8, 10)

Following these selected quotes is an extended and triumphant declaration regarding the "biblical family - now and forever!"

I did take the liberty of looking up Psalm 112, and I don't see it referring to said "biblical family", but rather the upright man.

The author (Doug Phillips) later comments, "I am reminded that teaching my children the way of Christ 'is not a vain thing; because it is [my] life.' (Deut. 32:47)"

Deuteronomy 32:46-47 reads in full: he [Moses] said to them, "Take to your heart all the words with which I am warning you today, which you shall command your sons to observe carefully, even all the words of this law. For it is not an idle word for you; indeed it is your life. And by this word you will prolong your days in the land, which you are about to cross the Jordan to possess."

Perhaps I'm just nit-picking. But the "life" these verses refer to seems to be God's Word, not teaching one's children "the way of Christ".

Please don't misunderstand me. I rejoice that Vision Forum so ardently supports the God-ordained institution of family. I just think they could make their case without misquoting Scripture. Or perhaps alter their case slightly? It seems to me that "now and forever" best applies to God and His Word, unless they are extending their definition of "biblical family" beyond earthly families.


What really disturbed me was discovering that the most exciting toy in the girls' catalog was a mere top, while the boys were offered The Zip Line: The Next Best Thing to Flying. Okay, so I know life isn't fair, but you could never get me near a top if the boys were outside soaring around on a Zip Line... and I'm pretty sure I speak for all my sisters!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm... with you on the zip line. maybe there wouldn't have been such violent social reactions against "historical femininity" if it had been a little more exciting than a wooden top :-) -LW

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid the misquoting of Scripture is one of several reasons I don't put any stock in Vision Forum's vision of a "biblical family."