Monday, May 23, 2005

Weekend entertainment

Friday and Saturday night -- Jason and I watched Gods and Generals. Ardith attempted to watch it with us, but the slow battles scenes finally drove her off.

I was trying to decide whether the acting was overdone or underdone... then we hit our first battle, and suddenly two lines of men were charging at each other. Why? Men were dying. Why? Each side prayed for God's aid. Why? Yes, I know that sounds naive and stale. This film's war was different from modern war, when the enemy is often in a tank or bunker. Different from Lord of the Rings war, where men are fighting orcs. To me, this film's war = men killing each other till one side loses more. Horrible.

Saturday evening -- Ardith and I went out for supper and then hastily grabbed a parking place and our Star Wars tickets. We both enjoyed it. My condensed evaluation: somewhat weak acting and plot line, excellent visual effects. For me, a visually decent film is good enough, because I don't watch movies; I live them. Did make me cry.


Currently reading That Hideous Strength, some of my favorite lines:

" 'Hope not for minde in women; at their best
Sweetness and wit, they are but Mummy possest.' " (p. 16)

John Donne's entire poem is here. Don't ask me to explain it. But that quote is funny!

" 'That's why Camilla and I got married,' said Denniston as they drove off. 'We both like Weather. Not this or that kind of weather, but just Weather. It's a useful taste if one lives in England.' " (p. 113)

No comments: