Thursday, January 13, 2005

Now the day is over. . .

Today we made the two-library and shopping run. It was a beautiful day.... clear blue skies with high brilliantly white cirrus clouds over brilliantly sparkling snow, and a bitterly cold wind. We came back home to discover that tonight's windchill ranges from 20 to 29 degrees below 0, and that's Fahrenheit. But we made it!

My library finds this time around:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams - Ardith will be so proud of me;
Star Trek: I'm Working on That, William Shatner - looks at the reality of ST technology;
The Iliad, Homer - did you know that this is described as "the world's greatest war novel"?; War and Peace, Count Leo Tolstoy (this and The Iliad are to finish)
Italian: A Self-Teaching Guide, Eduardo A. Lèborno
How to Learn Languages and What Languages to Learn, Mario Pei
Cruel and Unusual: Bush/Cheney's New World Order, Mark Crispin Miller (author of The Bush Dyslexicon)

The author of this last one is simply a professor of media studies. Brilliant credentials for this kind of book and this kind of declaration, but let's judge him by his work. I can't wait to get inside his perspective and find out what makes it tick.


Trevor was so tired and goofy tonight! He would trip and not be able to get up from laughing. He is rapidly increasing his vocabulary by voicing the opposite of whatever we say. Tonight he added "down" and "up"; the trick is to agree with him, then he'll want the other, plus learn twice as many words.

As a side note, I have been informed that my photos may not be free-hosted much longer, so they won't be available for long. I will have to hunt up something else. When my computer isn't spontaneously rebooting itself in the middle of a first spontaneous reboot.

5 comments:

Ma Hoyt said...

I think you need to make that brother of yours fix your computer.

In fact, tell him his graduation depends upon it.

Ardith said...

*glares at little brother*

Yes. By all means. I know that he is perfectly capable of attempting at least something...

Sharon said...

Oh, well, I didn't mean to bring down all this wrath on Jason. I'm sure he'll see your glares before I talk to him. He'll do it; he's already indebted to me for something else. ;)

Sharon said...

Time; on PictureTrail, not Photobucket. I started using the former because its albums seemed easier to manage. Unfortunately, PictureTrail moves members from an intro account to a free basic account after 30 days, then phases them out if they don't pay the annual fee. I'll probably try to make Photobucket do what I want.

Anonymous said...

sounds like some good reading! ;-)
-LW