Sunday, January 02, 2005

2005: The Year of Languages

Yes, the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) has designated 2005 as the Year of Languages. I heard about this back in November when our language professors returned from the ACTFL conference in Chicago. Hopes are for this initiative to affect all of America, even military officers. More information is here.

What a perfect excuse to go dig up my language books!

(side note: flashlights were not invented to be useful when swinging from the wrist, especially not when descending steep dark attic stairs with heavy book boxes)

All I have to do before next fall is finish my German and Spanish books and study for this semester's final, which I'll take to pass the semester I am missing for these languages. And keep up the French for study abroad in Dijon next spring.

So I think I will start some new languages. In other words, Hebrew, Italian, and Japanese. How exciting!

4 comments:

Ma Hoyt said...

Do you want I should pick up those Japanese and Hebrew/English dictionaries I saw in the used bookstore?

Huh? Huh? *pant, pant, pant*

Anonymous said...

Sharon,
Hey! I hope your time at home is going really well! It looks like you all had a great Christmas! THings on my end are going really well. I had two of my wisdom teeth taken out a week ago and it all went really well. I will have to catch up more later. I am still trying to figure this whole blog thing out. I will talk to you later!!!

Ashlee Reynolds

Sharon said...

Mommy, how providential! I just made a purchase today that I could exchange for those dictionaries. . .

So good to hear from you, Ashlee. I am very thankful that your experience with wisdom teeth was much better than mine. At least that's how it sounds.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lot of fun, Sharon!

-Laura