Friday, April 15, 2005

The way it goes. . . for some of us

Sometimes my life seems to be an endless series of failures.

-Wednesday, seeing that we needed some groceries and wanting to save gas, I stopped at the J & C in Allison on our way to prayermeeting. Prayermeeting is at 7 p.m. We arrived at the grocery story at 6:30 p.m. The J & C, as I discovered, closes at 6 p.m.

Result? We played on the church swings and merry-go-round for twenty minutes till someone came to unlock the church. The evening was gorgeous and the kids were thrilled!

-Thursday morning, seeing that we had not yet obtained the needed groceries, I drove into Ackley with Nolan. That is, I tried to start the minivan in order to drive, and discovered the battery was dead. I guess I must have left the interior light on last time I drove home from work.

Result? Jason taught me how to jump-start the van, and while we waited for the battery to charge, I burned the trash. In my great skill, however, I managed to miss all the trash bags I had filled while cleaning out the addition.

-Thursday noon, driving in to Ackley, Nolan and I discovered that road work was tying up Highway 20, and we had to wait about ten minutes just to turn on to the road.

Result? Let's see...

We listened to ten more minutes of beautiful music. And I think Nolan learned some patience. At least, he learned that you're not supposed to run down the sign lady who's waiting to give you a Go signal. Oh yes, and we learned a little more local geography by driving home a different way. Now, I think I understand why people used to enjoy going for a Sunday drive!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't sweat the battery business.

Jason needs down-to-earth tasks to balance all that computer *ahem* work.