Thursday, April 21, 2005

Warning: Composed after 11:00 P.M.

My few AIM buddies may have noticed I'm not on much anymore. Well, I would be. But I'm too lazy to sign on and think up an away message that will cover the entire day. Have to admit I only read 'the blogworks' about twice a week, except for my family's blogs, of course.

My life right now can be easily reduced to the following equation:

Life = work + sleep + food + study + (miscellaneous other = etc. + etc.)

(in decreasing order of time spent)

While we're discussing equations, maybe you can help me with something. I'm currently working on another one that looks like this:

Get up early + stay up late + get 8 hours of sleep = ???

Any ideas? I'm beginning to suspect that, if we want to make it work, we'll be forced to warp the 24-hour day into something 25+ hours long. Unfortunately, I haven't studied enough relativity theory to find out how to do this, barring the chance expeditious wormhole.


Oh, has anyone heard a new radio ad that goes something like this...

Child: "Mom, I think I'm getting a cold. My throat feels funny."

Mother (peering into child's mouth): "Oh, you don't have a cold, honey! You just have a light coating of fiberglass dust. Don't worry, it's great for your digestion!"

Announcer: "When Metamucil isn't enough - reach for the fiberglass."

Undertone Warning: "Some restrictions for sentient beings may apply."

8 comments:

Martinez said...

You probably don't want to go mucking about with relativity; trust me on this one.

But if you did, here's how you'd want to do it:
The basic idea is that time seems to move at different speeds for people moving at very different speeds relative to each other; hence the classic example of "twin goes on light-speed space journey for several years only to return home and discover his/her twin is older than he/she is."

So, if you wanted time to slow down (relative to you), you'd need to get the Earth to move very quickly. Of course, for this to have any pratical effects, you would have to be somewhere outisde the Earth. Of course, that can have all sorts of interesting complications and side effects...

As I said, you probably don't want to go mucking about with relativity.

And now that I've shown what a complete freak I am, I'm going to go read a book. Or at least part of one.

Sharon said...

Hmmm... thanks for thinking that out for me, Martinez.

Yes, the more I think about it, the less I'm inclined to try using relativity (if it even exists) for my time-stretching purposes. Just because it's relative. Sure, relative to someone else, I can do a lot of things. Where's the fun in that? I need time slowed down relative to my own past speed-of-time-passing experience. And I don't want to pay the fuel costs to either get the Earth away from me or get me away from the Earth.

Anonymous said...

And I thought you were the normal daughter.....

Sharon said...

Normal? Mommy, how am I not normal? :)

Martinez said...

(1) For the record, there is experimental evidence for the validity of the relativity theory (granted, evidence is not rock-solid proof, but it's what we've been using for as long as we've been doing science). I can give details if you really want me to.

(2) Normality is overrated. Life would be rather boring if everyone were "normal" ("conforming with, adhering to, or constituting a norm, standard, pattern, level, or type").

Sharon said...

And who sets the norm, anyway?

Anonymous said...

Sharon! I haven't written to you in a while, but I wanted to let you know how our second poetry slam went! It was REALLY marvelous! We had a good crowd, a lot of impressive poets, some laughs, and it was just great. Professor Lehmann even wrote a poem with ME as the star ... t'was hilarious! And Laura Wells won, with Crystal Ludwig and Amanda Lydon (if you know her) coming in right behind. It was so much fun!
Wish you could have been there . . . .
Will you be coming back next year perhaps?
Anne Elisabeth

Sharon said...

Oh yes, definitely! I'll be there in August. And thank you so much for telling me about the poetry slam. :)