Sunday, April 17, 2005

"Le non"

Who, you may ask, would be stupid enough to start analyzing a French philosophy of politics at 10:30 p.m. on a Saturday evening?

Originally it was Saturday morning, which means I could take my time getting the news, wandering at my own sweet will through the online editions of various foreign newspapers in other languages. For a while Le Monde has been running articles on "the yes vs. the no" debate currently taking place in France, that is, the debate over acceptance of the European Constitutional Treaty. I always enjoy editorials and started this one, only to realize that I really should accomplish some work first. So I saved it to read later. Due to work, 'later' ended up being after 10:00 that night.

I read it twice, first time to understand it, second time to comprehend it - and read it aloud to myself, for the sheer pleasure of speaking French, since the kids had all gone to bed. Out came the gigantic Cassell's French/English dictionary Grandpa sent me several years ago, in an effort to crack that occasional word obstructing my vision.

The editor paints the "yes" and "no" parties effortlessly; a few sentences allow the reader to grasp the present political landscape. The French administration keeps explaining the treaty in an effort to convince the people to vote for it, without considering why they are so decidedly voting against it. A rather scathing criticism of the political structure follows:

"Notre présidentialisme monarchique est la première cause de notre lassitude politique et de notre imprévisibilité électorale." Or, in English, "Our monarchical presidency is the primary cause of our political lassitude and our lack of electoral foresight."

I found that rather interesting.

The editorial concludes by pointing out the substance contained in "the no" - "Ce n'est pas un renoncement, mais un appel." In English, "It is not a renunciation, but rather an appeal [or a call]." To sum up, the author seems to be calling for the elected French officials to begin heeding the people who elected them.

Of course, the article has more to say and says it much better.

In the middle of all this, I was re-amazed to think of all the Internet lets us do... from paying bank bills to building spud guns to reading articles from a Paris newspaper. Incredible!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was amazed to discover that I understood almost ALL of that first French quote :-)

Probably just an accident....

Sharon said...

Super, maman! Vous n'avez pas trop oublié, non?

Anonymous said...

Umm, was that....

"You do not have too much trouble, no?"

Anonymous said...

Isn't that, "you haven't forgotten much, no?"

Anonymous said...

Oops, forgot my name, that was Kendra

Anonymous said...

or, in the spirit of the "translations" i do for kat on her french and german homework, "Stop eating wet cherries for breakfast, kid."
-laura

Anonymous said...

Je suis tres "confused..."

Sharon said...

You're pretty much right, Kendra. Only in English, it sounds better to say, "Hey, Mommy, you haven't forgotten much, have you!"

Laura, you're never getting near my homework. Happily (for that reason only) I'm done with language class!