Monday, April 11, 2005

Culture Jeopardy

Finally, it rained! So here's something fun I've been saving for a rainy day.

I did my part... I found this in the Iowa State Historical Society Museum in Des Moines, and scribbled it down, and will type it here. Now, you get to guess the magazine and the date!


"You have felt the gladness of the morning sun, when little winds make merry with white puffs of cloud in bluest sky. You have seen apple blossoms aquiver at sunset while the breezes are whispering. You have watched waves dancing in the path of the moon, and in the far-off silver stars you have read how Beauty brings happiness.

"As surely as night follows day, you recognize in your own life the intense desire to reflect the Beauty that you see about you. Armand is in the business to make the world happier. Back of every Armand product are the highest standards, behind them principles, and beyond those - ideals.

"Armand Cold Cream Powder. . ."


Isn't that great?

Come on, do guess! Just imagine - you have the power to save me from an untimely prison sentence for plagiarism - if you can just provide the year and publication.

8 comments:

Ma Hoyt said...

Pravda

During the "reign" of Leonid Breshnev. (whom I remember, by the way)

It is my understanding, that they had very nearly run out of happy-go-lucky people in the Soviet Union, and, (this, incidentaly, remains a vastly under-reported rationalization for the war) invaded Afganistan, in hopes that more cheerful models could be procured for their advertising campaigns.

Sorry I can't pin down the exact date, but it was somewhere around the year 1979.

Anonymous said...

wow. i have no clue.

but i was thinking about you, sharon! we're having another poetry slam on the 22nd. and yesterday we celebrated anne elisabeth's birthday by reading veil, mirror, and walking at night poems. can't wait to see you in the fall! :-)

Anonymous said...

shoot. i forgot to say who i am, if you can't tell. -laura

Ardith said...

Ahhh... Beauty and Ideals.

Sometime before the 1930's, I'm willing to bet. Beyond that, I'm pretty much at a loss.

Sharon said...

Thanks, y'all.

Nice try, Mommy.

Ardith, you're close! I'm going to post the answer tomorrow.

Another poetry slam, Laura? Wow! Congratulations! And I'm sure you made Anne Elisabeth very happy. Of course, I knew it was you. :)

Anonymous said...

Are you sure I'm not right?

Jonathan Dresner said...

Life Magazine, mid-1930s?

I'm guessing it's an Armand Hammer product, and he's highlighting his anti-communism....

Sharon said...

Thanks for an excellent guess! As I said in the following post, it was a 1927 Woman's World. Sadly, I don't know anything about Armand or his anti-communism, but you intrigue me.