Saturday, June 16, 2007

Oh boy!

The family excitement has already started. Yesterday some of us Bakers congregated in Uncle Doug and Aunt Cindy's church's kitchen to start cooking for their son's Gabe's wedding, which is today. Uncle Solly and I nearly froze our fingers slicing 40-some pounds of frozen chicken for doro wat, a spicy Ethiopian chicken stew. (Then, of course, all we non-immediate-family-relations went off for dinner to the traditional Baker restaurant, Old Country Buffet)

Today I have been shopping, packing and cleaning, waiting for Ardith to arrive so we can attend Gabe's and Bethany's wedding together. It is almost 3:30 and we need to leave in an hour. I do hope Ardith shows up sometime! Especially since we were planning to drive down in Ardith's car. As no one is answering her cellphone number, I am living by faith and reckoning up how much she will owe me for whatever won't go according to plan.

Next week is the Hoyt Family Reunion! Better than Disneyland.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aunt Cindy here--a big THANK YOU for all your frozen-fingered hard work! And the doro wat was delicious, wasn't it, Ardith? :-) It's so much more fun to make food for 200+ people with a kitchen full of relatives to work with!

Anonymous said...

Unusual name Daro Wot. I'm intrigued enough to ask for the recipe, however with only Evelyn and I to try this unusual fare, I hope the recipe is not for 200 people. My math skills being what they are in my advancing years would have a problem reducing any large quantities into usable numbers.I enjoy your blogs......

Sharon said...

Hello, Mr. DeBerg! What a pleasure and honor to have you comment. I'm sure you would enjoy the dish, and I will send you the recipe as soon as I can obtain it. It will probably be simpler to reduce the recipe from the normal one-chicken amount than our 40-lbs chicken breast version.