Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Ahh, the life of the unemployed

What a bum rap... I had to go to the library today to find books to read. Two books, just enough to entertain and stimulate the mind.

Finally, finally, I will get to finish reading The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. That's nobody's fault in particular, though we could indirectly blame Ardith, since her library has been offering me the piecemeal chance to work on it every couple months. I think it started when she picked me up from France - not that night of course, the next day, while we were recovering from our dead tiredness of coming in at 2 a.m. The next opportunity must have been when I visited her that summer. The last time must have been when she took us three next-oldest-ones to her place for a post-Christmas bash. So they have only been six-month lags.

The Teach Yourself books have a jazzy new makeover (or at least the Arabic one does) complete with pictures on the cover and semi-modern type inside. Looks like the book has 18 units. Looks like I have a week minimum left in Indiana. Aren't challenges exciting?

-- Oh, look, someone thoughtfully left a bookmark inside for me! Right at the exercise for correct verb suffixes. It has a pretty picture of Stoli Blueberi and recipes (on the back) for those very refreshing drinks displayed alongside the bottle. Why, what do you know, Stoli Blueberi is Blueberry Flavored Russian Vodka. What a good idea for summer!

In very small type at the bottom: "Please Drink Responsibly. Stolichnaya Blueberry Flavored Vodka, 35% Alc/Vol. Vodka distilled from grain." Goodness, that's a lot of alcohol for a blueberry drink. And that type is so small it makes my eyes hurt to read it. Time for bed.

No comments: