Monday, January 23, 2006

The long hard road to Utopia

Some days my computer just doesn't make a lot of sense.

I wanted to print off extra copies of my flight ticket. Having discovered that, yep, my email program had performed its usual maintenance operations, and nope, it hadn't kept useful old emails like e-tickets, I tracked down the site that had issued the ticket and discovered that yes, they did indeed allow customers to log in and retrieve useful data like itineraries.

That's just an introduction illustrating my perfectly logical approach to computers.

So I attempted to print the 4 pages of ticket (contrary to popular opinion, the world will not end in fire or ice but in paper), but for some reason, my computer couldn't quite load the page, and then couldn't quite get all the data sent to the printer before informing me that an error had occurred. The next time I tried to print, Compu informed me that I would need to add a printer. The latest printing ordeal must have been too traumatic, as it had wiped both printers from the system.

I tried giving Compu a brief nap by logging off. Jason advised restarting with a hard kick, which magically restored both printers and Compu's sanity.

But Jason informed me that it really wasn't my computer. "It's all because of Microsoft. Microsoft is the cause of all the world's problems. If Microsoft didn't exist, the world would be at peace... no wars, no fighting... and we'd all live together in harmonious brotherhood."

So maybe I should say, some days Microsoft just doesn't make a lot of sense.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So then, I don't have to drive you to France?

Sharon said...

So that Siberian land bridge still exists? I know, let's take the red Toyota, then you can teach me how to drive shift!