Saturday, March 12, 2005

And The Stick moves on. . .

Thanks to Rebekah, who passed this on to me.

1. You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451. Which book do you want to be?

(I had to look up "Fahrenheit 451" on Google to understand this reference, just to show how ignorant I am)

[Updated, thanks to Crystal's helpful comment] I would have to pick Emma. Not just for its main character, but for its 'feel'.

2. Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

Oh, definitely! Mr. Knightley in Austen's Emma. If I could be any fictional character, I would be Emma, because Mr. Knightley seems like one of the finest men imagineable. Let's hope there is a Mr. Knightley in the real world!

3. The last book you bought was...?

Good question - what was the last book I bought? Because, you see, I ordered a set of five. I'll just pick one at random - The Practice of the Presence of God, with Spiritual Maxims, by Brother Lawrence. I was delighted to get this little book, because it seems to me that the Christian life is learning to be more and more present with God.

4. The last book you read was...?

I guess that means "read and finished." That would be Cruel and Unusual: Bush/Cheney's New World Order, by Mark Crispin Miller. Now, I always thought the media was slanted to the left, but after reading this book one would think every news anchor and journalist was a rightist fanatical Republican. Miller seems to be a liberal libertarian, which is an interesting mindset to explore.

5. What are you currently reading?

Too many books at once, as usual. I'll try to be honest.

In progress...

Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, by Joanna Weaver
El Sombrero de Tres Picos, by D. Pedro A. de Alarcón, edited by Benjamin P. Bourland
Die Trapp-Familie, by Maria Augusta Trapp
Beautiful in God's Eyes, by Elizabeth George
Founding Mothers - The Women Who Raised Our Nation, by Cokie Roberts
There and Back Again: An Actor's Tale, by Sean Astin, with Joe Layden
The Hidden Art of Homemaking, by Edith Schaeffer

And two that need to be resumed...

The Iliad, by Homer, translated by Samuel Butler, edited by Louise Ropes Loomis
Perelandra, by C. S. Lewis, second book in his Space Trilogy

Now you really don't want commentary on all those, do you? I didn't think so. But I do have some excuse for having so much current reading, because some of them must be read in stages.

6. Five books you would take to a desert island?

Easy!

-my Updated New American Standard Bible
-the Complete Works of Shakespeare
-My Utmost For His Highest, Oswald Chambers
-Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained, John Milton
-my Greek New Testament

What three people are you passing this stick on to and why?

Can I make it four?

My English major friends at Grace will come up with great responses... Crystal, Laura, and Anne Elizabeth (whom I can't link for you because I haven't asked her permission yet).

And Mommy. Just to see what you'll do with it, Mommy!

And anyone else who visits this site is free to post their ideas on their own, or comment on mine, if you so wish. Books are always worth discussing!

3 comments:

Crystal said...

Actually, Sharon, one of the plot points in "Fahrenheit 451" is that in an age in which books have been banned, people have become books: that is, people have memorized portions of books and they live scattered over the country in these literary communities, if you will. It's a way to keep literature alive. So actually, the first question would be, "What book would you love to have memorized?" or live inside you, in a more abstract sense.

Sharon said...

Thank you for correcting me, Crystal! I will have to update my answer after I think about it.

Anonymous said...

SHARON! I'm so glad you found my site . . . and I'm glad to have found yours too! I like this little question-answer thingy (thingy? You can tell I'm an English Major . . .), and enjoyed your answers. You certainly do keep busy reading!
Again, I'm so happy that you found me, and that we can keep up with each other now! :)
And be sure to tell your mother that she has amazing taste in music. I love that Three Tenors CD too, though I'm afraid I loved it to death . . . .
Anne Elisabeth