Thursday, August 03, 2006

Let the weekend begin

First the numbers.

Argentina: 38 million people
Buenos Aires: 2 million

Let's see, that would make 5% of the population!

As for Belgrano University, it has several buildings in the neighborhood of its main one, which is 19 stories tall. My Contemporary Argentinian Art class is on the 19th floor. What do you think, will I be able to take the stairs by the end of the semester? I remember how exciting it was for us kids that the Iowa City Hospital had 8 floors and Daddy was on the 8th. Or maybe it was the seventh. Anyway, both buildings need elevators. The elevators here (at least the ones we students are allowed to use) only stop at about 5 or 6 different floors, so you do have to use the stairs sometimes.

As it happens, this is Thursday around 11:40 a.m. I didn't get around to typing last night. First I had a little bit of homework, just reading a basic review of Spanish verbs. Then I finished catch-up reading for our small group on Friday night. Then Alejandro came over, we ate and the four of us played Phase 10 and watched a Spanish TV show. Ale won. However, I was just glad to make it to the last phase after being stuck on a run of 8 for four rounds. Funny how you can enjoy a game yet have the worst luck in it.

This afternoon I have two classes, from 1 to 5 p.m. This evening will be a lot of fun because we are renting a movie to watch with some friends from church. Sometimes friends come over to Silvina's house to watch movies because she has a VCR player. 36 Quai des Orfèvres is a police film starring Gérard Depardieu. We're going to watch it as El Muelle with Spanish subtitles, but still the original French. I can't wait!

We won't be staying up too terribly late since Silvina and Emi work tomorrow, but that's okay... maybe I'll get an early start on the weekend for a change. No classes tomorrow!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was so good to talk to you the other day...both on IM and the phone :-)

Say, do they have grass to mow in this city of 2 million?

Am I wrong, or is that slightly larger than Ackley?

Sharon said...

It might be a little larger, except they don't have cows. No, I haven't seen much grass, but there are quite a few trees.

Kojiko said...

It was so good to talk to you the other day...both on IM and the phone :-) Say, do they have grass to mow in this city of 2 million? Am I wrong, or is that slightly larger than Ackley?