Saturday, April 19, 2008

What happens when you're on your own for the week

Because Stacey left for a week of vacation in Florida, all this happened...

Sunday afternoon I had to amuse myself, started reading a book in a papasan chair after lunch, fell asleep and woke up with a headache and a stomachache thirty minutes before I had to leave for evening church.

Unfortunately, after waking up that night with the same persistent headache, I had nothing but Tylenol PM left and could not find anything else Stacey might have. So I took a Tylenol PM at 3 a.m., with the alarm set for 5 a.m. My word. (Excuse the strong language.) I have never in my life had so much difficulty waking up, or staying awake, or keeping my balance in the morning. Clearly, much as we take aspirin to prevent heart disease, we should take Tylenol PM to give our wake-up hormones a good workout.

Thursday our landlord had the place inspected for termites. No termites, but it looks like they will spray for ants, which means we have to say goodbye to our favorite clean-up crew that comes faithfully out around the kitchen trash every day.

Friday morning, sometime distinctly after 5:36 AM, I stopped to listen to the screen door rattle, then something that sounded like wind blowing hard but quietly. It was odd and almost gave me chills. Did I leave the screen door open last night, I wondered, knowing of course that I hadn't.

At work one of my neighbors stopped by to say Good morning and asked, "Did you feel the earthquake?"

Well no, that was after 5:36... it must have just been a tremor or aftershock. Still, how exciting!

So you see all the terrible and exciting things that happen when you're left to yourself for a week. My, I am so glad to have Stacey back!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I usually take my Tylenol PM betwwem 8:30-9:30. It takes me about 11-13 hours to metabolize. Also I have found 1/2 of a pill is usually all I need to sleep reasonably well.
daddy

Ma Hoyt said...

Ma chère, I do believe you felt "the big one," owing to the fact that our 4:36am is your 5:36am.

I can't believe you were able to get up with a dose of PM after two hours!

Clearly, you need a larger selection of drugs.