Friday, July 27, 2007

BG Answers

Thanks to this round's participants, Ma Hoyt and Derek!

Here are the answers, with the participants' intelligent guesses in parentheses:

progeggrammenoi -- marked out (I am a programmer, I am commanding)

zophos -- darkness (from the planet Zophos, wisdom)

despotayn -- master (I wish to be a despot, tyrant - Bingo! Both basically right!)

asteres planaytai -- wandering stars ("something about" stars, heavenly bodies/beings)

It's hard to say who was closer. Probably Derek, since Ma Hoyt took some elaborative liberties at the expense of single-word translation.

Derek, that zophos was confusing, wasn't it? Sophos would be "a wise man".

I was racking my brain trying to come up with a prize, till it occurred to me that of course I couldn't think of a prize to give someone who hadn't really won.


Now, in case you'd like to see those words in their Jude context --

For certain persons have crept in unnoticed, those who were long beforehand programmed for this condemnation, ungodly persons who... deny our only Despot and Lord, Jesus Christ (4)...
these are the men who are... planets, for whom the black darkness has been reserved forever... (12, 13)

1 comment:

Ma Hoyt said...

Of course you realize I was sorta kidding :-)

At any rate, now I understand the wording of a past history professor who claimed that the best type of government would be ruled by a "benevolent despot."

Excepting no humans qualify (thankfully).

Any English translations which put "despot" in there? I doubt it, heh, heh.