Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The last Wednesday

I was going to post yesterday, but the 20 locutorio minutes were almost up; and then it was time to go shopping.

Yesterday I cooked dinner for my friends. I started around 5 p.m. with the dessert, then around 7 p.m. with the main courses. The meatloaf turned out great, in spite of the fact that most of my brain was occupied in carrying on a conversation with a dinner guest who arrived early. So did the baked potatoes, though I almost thought they would never make it. So did the French vinaigrette for the lettuce salad. I didn't manage to get around to making the chunky applesauce. We started eating around 9:30 or 10:00 with the guests still arriving, the last one coming a little after serving the chocolate cream pie and meringues. What fun the evening was! All except two made it, which still made for around 10 people in total. We five youngest goofiest ones between the ages of 16 and 22 stayed up till 3 p.m., partly to take crazy pictures....

... which you may just get to see by the weekend. This is partly because I'm such a nice person and mostly because I want to clear up memory space before going to Uruguay tomorrow. This way we'll see if the 256 mg limit is really 350-some pictures. I already have nearly 300 on one card. Normally I would have been downloading them onto my laptop, but it's refusing to work. So I'm sitting here in the locutorio spending the horrendous amount of 2 pesos (= some 60 cents) to upload them one by one into Photobucket - one by one, because for some reason Photobucket isn't giving me the multiple upload option today. I must have made it mad. Oh, shoot. (Excuse the poor language today.) That's only the fourth or fifth time that I switched back to the Photobucket page only to find I'd selected the file without clicking 'Upload'.

Oh, you thought I was posting to post? No, I'm just posting to kill time.

Just kidding. Partly.

It's funny how little one can sleep during vacation. Saturday I went to bed at 4 a.m. Sunday was 1 a.m., but that's normal now. Monday was 1 or 2 a.m., and yesterday was 3 a.m. This plus never sleeping in till noon. What can I say... it's impossible to sleep that late, and five or six hours felt sufficient this morning. Must be the low-stress non-semester lifestyle.

Well, we're getting there, only about 15 more photos to go. I wonder how long the post will be for the 275-some on the other card.

In other news, the heat here is nice but it's almost making me look forward to winter in our hemisphere. Some days are so hot or humid (or both) that you just don't feel like doing anything, can't walk at a decent rate, and need three times the willpower to do the next thing--

(I started to say 'the force of the will', then some English succintness knocked on the door)

--This explains the siesta tradition and a lot of other things that can be exasperating for North Americans and Northern Europeans... at least for this one.

Well, that's all for now. It's 8 p.m. Maybe I will get to bed early, like midnight, since I have to get up around 5 or 6 a.m. tomorrow to get to the dock for the boat to Uruguay.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, when you get back, tu papa can work on your computer. He worked on mine for over a week, and it hasn't crashed in in two days :-D

Have fun in Uruguay. (you're just telling us about all this travel stuff to make us jealous, right?)

p.s. Do you realize I am just now able to type "tu querida mamá" without looking?

Sharon said...

Congratulations, Mommy! :)

No, of course I never say anything to make anybody jealous. Anyway I have to do most of this sightseeing and traveling alone because no one has time or money to go with me.

Daddy can work on the laptop if he wants, but I want to watch, so I can fix it the next time!

Anonymous said...

ok amiga, yo quiero saber el nombre de tu fotobucket para que pueda ver tus fotos. me gustaría verlas. bueno espero que estos ultimas dias son los mejores! nos vemos pronto! chau besos Amy