Saturday, June 04, 2005

well...

I put myself on sick leave yesterday. After five days, my sore throat finally decided to upgrade to full cold status Wednesday. Thursday night I was in bed by 11 and up by 7:30, and two hours of sleep were in there.... somewhere... last night at nine hours was a great improvement.

Anyway, I needed a book to pull me out of myself, and settled on Michael Crichton's Andromeda Strain (hey - somebody else who comes up with the title before the book). Keyword for me was sterilization, more interesting since we've become a very germ-conscious family. Just like Congo, this one was full of impersonal computers and technology, and of course, that annoying ubiquitous "data". Kind of funny to read about computers in the pre-digital age. Anyway, the book became palatable once I realized that the psychological element would once again kick in. Hall in Andromeda Strain as Ross in Congo, two people chosen for their respective teams due to a computer's analyzing their personality and psychology. Ridiculous, but as long as humans triumph over technology, I don't really care. When I got to the end, I thought, "I've been duped." What was the point of the book again? Great authors can do that to you. Just so you know that it was my idea first.

Haven't yet read Jurassic Park. Its powers over me will be weaker after the movie. Still can't believe I wanted to watch that... although, I'd almost do it again, just out of sheer fascination over being that terrified.

Anyway, I was very proud of reading an entire book (269 pages) in almost 24 hours.

And if you think this post is poorly written, you win. But I ain't taking more time. Sleep is extremely precious.

No comments: