Saturday, October 20, 2007

Better old than nothing

Last weekend I typed up a blog post, then never had a chance to post it. So I may as well do it a week late!

This was not the plan

Life never goes like it’s supposed to. Isn’t it great?

Here it is Friday night in a cozy little house where the TV is on. The plan was to watch a movie picked up at the library specially for tonight. That’s what a good, modern-day college graduate would do, right? She should have started it right after supper. Instead here she is, after getting sidetracked on things like calling a friend to chat, and washing the dishes, and turning on the TV just to see what fraction of those four channels come in with a little delicate antenna adjustment… and out of the fuzz appears the baseball game on FOX. Now, the Red Sox are playing, and they’re probably playing somebody, but it’s hard to say who they’re playing because the announcers never get around to mentioning them, and it’s probably not important who they’re playing since they are, after all, the Red Sox. For all we know, the other team could be the Yankees, since they’re so frequently referenced…. Oh, wait, no, that other team is Cleveland.

Okay, that’s it. I’m going to be a typical annoying Hoyt and settle on a team without any background information whatsoever. Anyway, these announcers are annoying me, so Cleveland it is. Go Indians! Oh my goodness, they’d better really go. I just saw the score, 1 to 8. It’s the top of the 6th.

Cleveland is in Ohio, isn’t it? That’s a lot closer than Boston. Yes, I picked the right team.

Best of all, I can almost guarantee you my family is sitting around watching the exact same game. Most of them will be for the Indians, maybe a few for the Red Sox, just to be contrary (you guys know I know who you are). That’s really why I’m watching the game, of course. To spend the evening with my family. They all feel close via the TV, and via my laptop, since I know whoever isn’t watching it is on their computer. And I’m spending the evening with you by thinking of you all – whoever, wherever you are – while typing this out in tranquility at home, instead of hastily dashing off a post tomorrow during those few precious hours online.

It’s now 2 to 9 and only the bottom of the 6th. I think this is really promising.

1 comment:

Ma Hoyt said...

As you've probably found out by now, it was quite the rout.

I only watched until 9:25. Then I put the two little boys to bed and watched the remainder of a classic Keeping Up Appearances with Daddy up in our room.

Then I made sure two more kids went to bed and I watched The Red Green Show with Derek and Melinda downstairs.

Red Green beats the Red Sox, every time :-D

(we were rooting for Cleveland too, but have decided to go for the Rockies--in the World Series--if the Indians wimp out again tonight. There's nothing like snazzy black uniforms to inspire respect and admiration)