Saturday, October 08, 2005

Guess what!

I was studying the literary paradigm of Biblical interpretation and came across the word ontological. Aside from instantly recognizing it as one of those vague philosophical terms, I also instantly knew the definition had something to do with "being", but I didn't know how... except that Greek had something to do with it. Having none of my Greek books at hand, I used Dictionary.com to verify the definition ("of or relating to essence or the nature of being"), then with Etymonline to verify the etymology. Yes, the onto- part comes from Greek ontos, genitive masculine singular of on, present participle of einai, "to be".

That just made my day!


This is also my first post from the laptop Daddy fixed up for me. It's so much fun to use. I have much still to figure out, including how to select words to link. So I'll refer you to the sidebar if you want to double-check my sources.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Word-geek. Word-geek.

Sharon said...

Okay, that's one possible intra-English translation for "language lover".

Maybe I should change my blog title again!