Wednesday, November 24, 2004

From the library desk

As long as the library's paying me to sit here in front of a computer, why not write another post? Isn't this a wonderful country? Maybe that's what the 'liberal' arts college experience means. Ardith knows what I mean. Even if she is at a tech school that is only slowly beginning to live up to the idea of a liberal arts school.

I had to try the Narnia quiz that Martinez linked on his blog, short and dumb as it was (yes, that could have been worded more carefully - of course I meant the quiz, not the blog - but why not allow a few moments' worth of interesting reactions?). They assigned me to The Horse and His Boy, with the labels of wistful, alienated, goal-driven. Not bad. The Horse and His Boy has always been my favorite Narnia chronicle. Wistful, alienated. . . that's fairly accurate for the last few weeks. Goal-driven? Conversely, this hasn't been true, until the new motivation of Thanksgiving break.

But enough of trite personality quizzes. Why are they so fascinating? In my case, I think it comes down to selfishness. In fact, the more time passes, the more convinced I am that selfishness is deeply entrenched in me, and radical surgery is often required just to make me aware of it.

The library's Christmas decorations and the Christmas music playing is making me nostalgic. But I enjoy it now, because tomorrow is home!



2 comments:

anna said...

funny. that's what's your mom got.

But I do believe she mentioned in the comment she left on my blog that The Horse and His Boy wasn't her favorite book...rather her least.

*goes to double check*

Yup. So the two of you are alike according to the quiz...but not according to "degree of favorite" for the book.

Sharon said...

Funny. I guess the magically mysterious element of Middle-Eastern/Arabic influence appeals to my imagination.