Friday, November 26, 2004

Donuts and things

It's strange to be blogging from Mommy's chair, in front of Mommy's computer at Mommy's desk. But I had to take advantage of Ardith's nap. By the way, Mommy, the plant hanging above your chair is growing long beautiful tendrils around the Burpee picture and down to the chair arm. . . I'm sure by the time you're back, it will have curled its way all over your desk.

Yes, good to be home. I don't have any thrillingly frustrating stories to equal Ardith's, although we were in the car about 10 hours instead of the usal 7 1/2. Traffic was stop-and-start most of the way to Chicago, and through Chicago, and past Chicago. Tammy drove the first half (the slow, long half); by the time we switched, the roads had cleared out and I could drive the speed limit. After quite a long stretch, the cars in front of me started braking. Ice! I must have hit the brakes too, because the car started skidding and spinning around. . . over 180 degree turn. . . I hung on, waiting for us to hit something. But we didn't even go in the ditch, although 3 or 4 other cars had already succeeded. That was scary. That's why we prayed for safety at the beginning of the trip.

After that it was smooth sailing to Waterloo. Since it was Tammy's car and Tammy likes to keep her speed up, I did too. . . but I promise I wasn't reckless. We got into Waterloo about 10 Iowa time, 11 Indiana time (left 1:30). Then I learned I would be staying the night because Ardith had missed her flight. Great job, Ardith. Cars may be slow, but they beat flights you never catch. Yeah, she knows I'm kidding. Pastor John and I almost walked past her at the airport the next morning. It was a very fast airport stop, since her luggage had somehow disappeared.

So, we got home. Ardith planned the dinner prep times and we managed to carry it out, with help from everyone else. After everyone had eaten their fill, or more, we sat around the table and laughed at Derek's attempt to re-word the title "The Taming of the Shrew" so he could avoid copyright laws. Why? I guess he wanted to write about a real taming of a real shrew. Most people know that Shakespeare's play describes how a man brings his headstrong wife to submission, but we did learn from Jason that the title also refers to how the woman had a nose shaped like a shrew's. It does hurt to laugh on a full stomach!

Today has been very relaxing. Sleeping in till 11, playing Dutch Blitz, doing a little homework. . . Ardith was working on her collation of Greek manuscripts, me on my French dissertation, on which I have to give a presentation a week from today.

As long as I was home and free from Grace's restrictive firewall, I took that molecule test. Looks like I'm glucose. All I remember is that I'm sweet, caring, and people feed off of me. Kinda makes me not want to be sweet and caring. I think there's some plot behind this.

Tomorrow, provided no cold suddenly descends to smite Ardith and me, we'll drive up to visit Daddy and Mommy in their ritzy little establishment. Might be a temperature shock, from a 73 degree house (if that) to 77 plus. But I'm definitely willing to take the risk!


2 comments:

Ma Hoyt said...

You two can just help yourself to my computer, any time.(but, of course, no one else gets to touch it. Well, maybe Jason) Melinda has been charged with watering the plants until I get back, and I have no doubt that they will thrive.

It sounds like you are all having a riot of fun at home, and I am most glad.

I knew you were working on a long French paper, but that part about Ardith collating Greek amnuscripts....

Speaking of Greek, I am currently reading a book I found on a bookshelf here in the house, "My Greek Treasure," which I find interesting enough to amuse me when Daddy is hogging the computer :-) (also when he wants to drift off at 9 and I am NO WHERE sleepy, yet.

Speaking of the HOUSE, they have a rule, here, that guests cannot go up to the actual rooms. Sorry. We will have to devote our visiting time to the "common" rooms. I'll give you a tour of the place, the exercise room, the laundry, the WORKS!

Oh yes, they also have this rule about people taking off their "outside shoes" when it is snowing, so, you'll have to put on Daddy's and my slippers. They shouldn't be more than 3 or 4 sizes too big :-) (I hope you brought your camara, Sharon)

Sharon said...

oh, I am too, Rebekah, for sure.