Thursday, January 07, 2010

How did it come to this?

How did the world move on from blogging? That is, blogging in the sense of individuals blogging as a means of communicating to their family and friends.

The only ones who have survived are the entertaining writers, like my mother. Her blog will never die as long as the Internet lasts to host it!

And the only other ones are the stubborn ones, like me, who don't necessarily write anything worth keeping a blog for sharing, but who hang onto their blogs just the same, maybe because they're second-oldest children and they have that instinct to... umm... to be stubborn.

Facebook versus blogs. Humm. I refuse to say anything that people will shoot down with sniper fire. Facebook is a different landscape than blogging. It seems much more adapted to communication. You can post your immediate thought... you can ask a friend a question... you can invite people here or send them to read that... you can have the nearest thing to a live chat that isn't. A blog is more static. Where you think about what you want to say, you say as little or as much as you like, but regardless, you're making a post out of it, a post that will sit there for at least a day if not for weeks (that's for you blogging slackers) before it gets replaced by anything else. It doesn't zoom down a home page till it's buried beneath a kajillion other thoughts within two hours.

Well, I need to go do the dishes. Some things in life haven't changed hardly one degree in one hundred years.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are truly blessed to have such a large family. Being an only child myself, I am really amazed!
I am a baby boomer. Greetings from Canada.

Wren
http://z10.invisionfree.com/Journey_Back_in_Time

j said...

I found your blog by clicking the Next Blog link at the top of the page. I found your topic interesting as I have watched other bloggers become completely involved in Facebook. Although I have a Facebook profile, my true love it blogging. For me, it's because I enjoy the writing process so much.

Great post!

Rebekah said...

And still others may have changed to a different blog, phased out the old one, and found themselves needing to completely change the style, method, and reason. :)